Integrative Health Care
Integrative medicine is the medical specialty dealing with the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of adult diseases. Using the Functional Medicine Model of Health Care, we are able to take the time needed to hear and understand the patients story and health care goals. Once we are able to partner with the patient on their health care goals, we then design a Personalized Health Care Plan based on those goals. We integrate all areas of Medicine, including Diet, Lifestyle and Exercise, to achieve the specific patient goals.
The defining principles of integrative medicine are:
- The patient and practitioner are partners in the healing process.
- All factors that influence health, wellness and disease are taken into consideration, including body, mind, spirit and community.
- Providers use all healing sciences to facilitate the body’s innate healing response.
- Effective interventions that are natural and less invasive are used whenever possible.
- Good medicine is based in good science. It is inquiry driven and open to new paradigms.
- Alongside the concept of treatment, the broader concepts of health promotion and the prevention of illness are paramount.
- The care is personalized to best address the individual’s unique conditions, needs and circumstances. Practitioners of integrative medicine exemplify its principles and commit themselves to self-exploration and self-development.
In addition to addressing and handling the immediate health problem(s) as well as the deeper causes of the disease or illness, integrative medicine strategies also focus on prevention and foster the development of healthy behaviors and skills for effective self-care that patients can use throughout their lives.